Last night, at the request of Blake, we made "Pizza Pie" for dinner. I made up that name so that the kids would eat it and it has worked ever since.
I have tried a making this many different ways, but the kids really prefer it the way I will share with you. We have added green beans, corn and peas to no avail!
Ground Turkey or ground beef (we prefer ground turkey)
1 jar of spaghetti sauce
Instant mashed potatoes (I make enough for four servings)
1 cup of grated cheese
Seasonings for meat-I use garlic powder, onion powder, ground red pepper and black pepper.
Preheat oven to 425
1) Brown ground beef or ground turkey in a pan. I use olive oil spray to coat the pan to prevent sticking. I season the meat and add 1/4 of the jar of spaghetti sauce while browning the meat.
2) While browning the meat, make instant potatoes in the microwave.
3) Once the meat is completely browned, add 3/4 of the remaining spaghetti sauce to the meat.
4) Pour the meat sauce in the bottom of a lightly greased baking pan. Place the prepared mashed potatoes on top of the meat sauce and then pour the remaining sauce on top of the mashed potatoes.
5) Last sprinkle the cheese over the top of the mixture and place in the oven for 10-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted on the top.
This is famously named Shepherd's Pie and I don't even know the original recipe, but my kids think ours is delicious.
Typically I add pureed veggies to our spaghetti sauce, but haven't tried it with this recipe yet. I guess that would just be one more dish to dirty and I hate dishes!
1 hour ago